This site was produced initially out of a need to list some of the books in our collection at home. It then grew as I increasingly surfed the net for information and got frustrated when there was no single site to go to. Here I'm comparing with IMdB for films.
So I started with my lists. They became a spreadsheet then a full blown database with queries to extract the data. I've previously tried two 'commercial' solutions.
The first one was the well known PHP-Nuke. Unfortunately the software is too well known. After the site was hijacked. I had to rebuild the site.
The next version used PHP Wiki. I liked the idea of a communal input to the content of the site. Unfortunately something went wrong and I seem to keep getting a number of PHP errors and as the software was quite complex I was not sure where to start to put it right.
Latest update resulted from a clearing up of the accessibility notes, corrections to accesskey links on each page and correcting errors in xhtml and css validity.
The next incarnation again used software produced by someone else PM Wiki, but a) I can follow it better and b) is so easy to back up and restore in case of infiltration.
Again I had problems with someone defacing the website so I went back to using software produced by myself and building it from the ground up. I did originally make it to look like the previous PmWiki site, but there the resemblence ends. I think following the changes in June 2014 that I may have it OK, with IE 8 and older being diverted to use the original skin and all newer browsers now using a responsive skin.
If you are daft enough to want to know anything about me, then see my profile page.